There are many opportunities for career advancement within the advanced manufacturing sector and those opportunities will lead to wages above the median wage for our region. An estimated 1,000 job openings are available today.
Average earnings per manufacturing jobs in the Local Area, from ESMI data.
Almost 700 manufacturing firms employ over 20,305 individuals in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison and Transylvania Counties
- The 3rd and 4th largest craft brewers in the US are in this region.
- This region has the “first facility in the world to mass produce engine components made of advanced ceramic matrix composite (CMC) materials“. These make some of the parts in aircraft engines lighter, producing a fuel efficiency gain across the entire fleet of engines.
- Current in Hendersonville produces and ships more than 3,000 LED lighting systems every day, saving cities 17 Billion dollars annually in lighting costs. Some of their salaries range from $20-$45 an hour.
- This region is home to more than 25 Outdoor industry manufacturers including Outrider USA, producer of the world’s fastest sub 100lb vehicle and a recumbent mountain bike that can be modified for use by quadriplegics and those with traumatic spine injury.
- Gaia Herbs has created and manufactures bottles that perform like glass, but are 5 times lighter and fully decompose in 90 days.
- AvL Technologies in north Asheville offers the world’s largest range of satellite communications antennas for defense and homeland security, mobile broadband Internet, satellite news gathering, emergency and disaster relief, and oil and gas data backhaul.
- Pratt & Whitney has constructed a 1.2 million square foot state-of-the-art turbine airfoil production facility in Asheville investing $650 million and creating 800 new jobs.
- Since 2010 the region has added over 5,000 manufacturing jobs.
- 80.6% of local manufacturers expect to grow their workforce in the next 3 years.
- The most job openings are projected to be for Front-line Production Workers, Machine Operators (Not Computerized), Maintenance & Repair Personnel, Supervisors & Managers and Engineers.
- The region has seen almost $1 billion investment in manufacturing over the last five years including Pratt & Whitney, Jabil Healthcare, Tageos, Lassonde Industries, and Raybow USA.